One of the most common concerns that we come acress at D.A. Bennett Service Experts in Albany is filthy air filters. They might seem like a very small piece of the whole home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us control comfort is a lot larger than most homeowners notice. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a dirty air filter can cause a number of issues for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you neglect to switch out your air filter? Here are a just a handful of the side effects you might encounter:
- Decreased airflow. This is easily the biggest problem you’ll note when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being switched, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this inhibits air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working significantly harder to provide you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is running harder because of a dirty air filter, you also run the risk of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s running overtime to leave you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a possibility if your air filter goes unattended for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something quits working or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off more than it should. When your system short cycles, it can overheat or break down from the added work, potentially causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shortened equipment lifecycle
- Decreased energy efficiency
- Diminished air quality
- Increase in dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last swapped out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to get around any likely damage that may come with a filthy air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the number of air filters available, give D.A. Bennett Service Experts a call at 518-205-3324 or schedule an appointment online.