Tips to Safely Heat Your Home This Winter

November 02, 2016

Annually, over 20,000 people end up in the hospital as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.

Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is put off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the colder months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your family safe, D.A. Bennett Service Experts is here with some tips to safety heat your home.

 

  • Install a CO detector on all floors of your home and swap out the batteries yearly.
  • Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a minimum of three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
  • Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, always check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
  • Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces alone. Shut off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
  • Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like porcelain tile. Keep young ones and animals away from space heaters.
  • When investing in a new space heater, purchase a model that powers off automatically if the heater tips over.
  • Never use a cooking range to increase the temperature in your home.
  • Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally checked and cleaned annually.

 

The ultimate thing you can do for your heating equipment is to make sure it’s not only all set to keep your family warm all winter but also safe, is to call for your heating tune-up. During your fall tune-up, D.A. Bennett Service Experts will check to be sure your heating system is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 518-205-3324 today and ask how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.

Contact Us