As fall gets closer, now is a good time to get started thinking about your house’s carbon monoxide detectors. When heating season is underway, the Centers for Disease Control says the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning increases.
Carbon monoxide is a hazardous gas that’s colorless, odorless and tasteless. It’s a product of combustion your gas furnace uses to heat your house. When your furnace is operating like it’s supposed to, the gas is correctly pushed outside of your home. Cracks in your furnace’s heat exchanger or flue pipes can cause carbon monoxide to appear into your home, where ongoing exposure can be deadly.
Although carbon monoxide poisoning is preventable, the CDC says at least 430 people in the U.S. die from it annually. And another approximately 50,000 people are transported to the hospital because of related ailments, like headaches, dizziness and vomiting.
The best ways you can help your loved ones is by setting up yearly maintenance of all gas, oil, or wood burning appliances, like your furnace and water heater, and using a carbon monoxide detector. From plug-in to smart carbon monoxide detectors, there’s an option available that matches for your house and budget.
H2: Smart Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Smart carbon monoxide detectors, including the Nest carbon monoxide detector, make it easy to stay on top of keeping your loved ones safe. They’re usually offered as duo carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and can usually be synced with other smart home devices via Wi-Fi.
Here are a few other benefits of having them in your home:
- Tells you there’s a problem through voice notifications, in addition to alerts on your phone.
- Locates the problem area, such as the kitchen or basement.
- Can be shut off from your phone.
- Automatically reviews its sensors and batteries and reveals findings through a useful report on your phone.
- Notifies you of dying batteries with an alert on your phone, not a screeching noise in the middle of the night.
- Lasts up to 10 years, depending on the brand.
The only downside of getting Wi-Fi carbon monoxide detectors is the expense. These detectors are often much more expensive than their plug-in or battery-powered counterparts. But they also include many beneficial and worthy features you won’t get in a non-smart device.
When you’re getting a new device, it’s vital to know where to place carbon monoxide detectors. The Environmental Protection Agency encourages putting a carbon monoxide detector approximately five feet above the floor or on the ceiling. This is because carbon monoxide can rise with warm air.
We advise installing a detector on each floor of your house, as well as outside bedrooms. You’ll want to be certain the alarm will wake you up.
Battery-Powered and Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Plug-in and battery-powered carbon monoxide detectors are the most economical. A few of the most popular styles are Kidde carbon monoxide detectors and First Alert carbon monoxide detectors.
But they also have restricted features that don’t work with your phone or smart home devices. They usually have a digital display and test button, which you’ll have to remember to use.
The National Fire Protection Association advises testing hardwired carbon monoxide alarms each month. Battery-powered detectors that don’t plug in ought to be tested once a week. If you’re unsure how to test for carbon monoxide, it’s more or less straightforward. Use the button to ensure your detector is working.
If your detector is hardwired, make sure to change the backup battery at least annually. If it’s battery-powered, you’ll want to swap it once a month to bypass the dreaded chirp in the middle of the night.
If you’re getting noise or your carbon monoxide detector is beeping more frequently, it generally indicates it has a low battery. Or, it’s approaching the end of its life. How long carbon monoxide detectors work depends on the brand you use. Most often, it’s between 5–10 years, but make sure to check instructions from your device’s manufacturer.
If you’re confused about why your carbon monoxide detector is beeping, it’s frequently due to the fact it’s detected high concentration of carbon monoxide. If your carbon monoxide detector is going off with continued, loud beeping, leave your residence right away and dial 911.
Now is a good time to check your carbon monoxide detector is functioning as it should before heating season begins. If you need to request furnace maintenance or you’re interested in upgrading to smart carbon monoxide detectors, the Experts at D.A. Bennett Service Experts can help. Reach us at 518-205-3324 today and we’ll help you select the ideal carbon monoxide detector for your residence.