When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair expert to check your system after the storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your prep were worth the time.
At D.A. Bennett Service Experts, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time may not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets tossed around during bad weather. Just make sure you have turned the system fully off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a safe place so that they don’t get strewn about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to go back out of your home, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call D.A. Bennett Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Albany, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other problems that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for severe weather in Albany or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 518-205-3324 or schedule an appointment with D.A. Bennett Service Experts through our online scheduler.