Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is working? There's a strong probability there’s something wrong with your AC. If you ignore it, it could lead to significant—and expensive—troubles later. We're going to help you understand what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to change it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling generally indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can't determine where the noise is originating from, that's alright. A professional can help determine where this noise is occurring. You can read more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will generate a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can cause noise inside your house. Read our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can come from a damanged refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Check out our hissing noise guide for more on that.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is likely an electrical issue. Check out our buzzing noise guide for more information.
- Clicking - Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can find more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be caused by a loose part. Take a look at our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A noticeable noise from your outdoor unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Read our loud noise guide for additional information.
- Humming - Humming can begin with fan motor issues or a broken relay switch. Read through our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about common air conditioning issues on energy.gov
Should I keep operating my system when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's almost impossible to answer this question without looking at your system.
In most cases, we recommend shutting down the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you suspect there's something wrong with your air conditioner. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected cost, it's better to get problems fixed right away. Getting a professional could help reduce future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.