Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air inside your home nice and cool, which means that any time you allow heat back into the home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than need be. While the air conditioner is your best source for cooler air, there are a couple things you can do, on top of air conditioner service, to help keep the Albany heat out and help your air conditioner survive during the remaining days of summer.
Here are a few tips from D.A. Bennett Service Experts to help keep hot air out of your home:
- Block out the sun. Quite a bit of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by using solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the minimum, buy blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The spaces in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Inspect your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can perform a sophisticated comfort performance assessment for you to uncover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Inspect your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that might be torn or showing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven generate a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave instead of your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that may produce heat for evenings after the temperature outside cools off. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and let those appliances rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help block the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also provide shade and repel some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The greatest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After hearing about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the greatest option might simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is sustaining cool temperatures despite following the tips listed above, it could mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to ensure your equipment is running properly and that you are getting peak efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than need be. Give D.A. Bennett Service Experts in Albany or set up an appointment online to have a professional check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s operating as it should be.