How Do You Test for Carbon Monoxide?

There are many gases that could be in your Albany home. Natural gas and vapors that originate from household furniture, flooring and paints. None of these fumes are as threatening as carbon monoxide.

Call D.A. Bennett Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 518-205-3324 today to start shielding your family against this toxic gas.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so Poisonous?

Carbon monoxide might be an emergency, so it’s not something to mess around with.

1. You Can’t Smell It

Carbon monoxide is so unsafe because you can’t view it, detect it with your nose or detect it with your taste buds. It doesn’t cause irritation in small doses and can’t be purified.

2. It Can Be Deadly in Just a Few Minutes

Carbon monoxide is a side effect of burnt fuel. It can creep into your residence during cold weather if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace fails. Depending on how big the leak is and the circulation in a residence, carbon monoxide can become fatal in within minutes.

Once inhaled, carbon monoxide has a half-life of approximately five hours. If you are inhaling clean air, you will need five hours to get it out of your bloodstream. It will take another five hours to cut that level by half.

3. Carbon Monoxide Reaction Can Mimic Other Illnesses

It could also cause symptoms that can be confused with the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.

How to Guard Your Home from Carbon Monoxide

There’s no point to risk carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here are some steps you can complete to keep your house safe:

  1. Every home with at least one natural gas furnace, connected garage or fireplace requires a carbon monoxide alarm. You should have a detector on all levels of your home, in addition to the basement and garage. You also should have one installed inside or outside of every bedroom. Don’t use a carbon monoxide alarm in your residence?
    Call D.A. Bennett Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 518-205-3324 to buy one. Ask our Experts about our economical Wi-Fi carbon monoxide detectors.
  2. If you presently own a carbon monoxide system, frequently check or replace the batteries. You should test batteries every 90 days, and buy a new detector every three to five years.
  3. If your carbon monoxide alarm alerts you to danger, leave your residence immediately and dial 911.

Protect Your Loved Ones with Support from D.A. Bennett Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary, and with the proper steps your family can be guarded from the hazardous gas. Take the necessary steps and call D.A. Bennett Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 518-205-3324 to learn more.


Our Health and Safety Commitment
At Service Experts, our top priority is always the health and safety of our customers and team. We are following all COVID-19 (Coronavirus) public safety guidelines and adjusting our business practices as needed to ensure customer and employee wellbeing. As a precautionary measure, anyone working on behalf of Service Experts – including our technicians – is being asked to stay home for the recommended 14 day quarantine period if they are returning from out-of-country, have been exposed to a presumptive or confirmed case, or are feeling unwell. We are providing our technicians and other field employees with additional health and safety guidance to assist in keeping our customers and employees safe. Please be prepared to answer brief health and safety questions with our representative. We will continue to monitor the situation and will adjust our business practices as required. We recognize that this may be a particularly stressful time and want you to know that, we are committed to serving you and making your experience as easy as possible.