Winter months in Albany are here. In fact, the months of October through February have a record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances taking place in the course of those months. To understand the safety of your home, arrange an annual furnace service now, before the peak of winter is here.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners recognize that their furnace could give off deadly carbon monoxide gas, but greater than half don't do anything to prevent it from happening.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be very harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be mistaken for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that consumes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the opportunity to release carbon monoxide if the system is not running correctly or if it wasn’t installed appropriately.
Your annual furnace service company can help identify any potential problems. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Make sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Search for any other weird things that may compromise your safety
- Help you identify any additional areas where you may want to think about adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is working at its top efficiency, helping offer peace-of-mind that you’re in an ideal spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to keep in mind that many furnace manufacturers might require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the pros at D.A. Bennett Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 518-205-3324 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the cooler months.