According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments attend to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide calls each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s usually linked to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources such as gas or oil furnaces.
Why is CO2 awareness so important?
Carbon monoxide can be deadly; its that simple. CO2 is one of the leading reasons of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning have been known to be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning the invisible killer that needs to be taken seriously by every Albany homeowner. Serious poisoning takes place from inhaling large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning can also occur over many months or years. Some indicators may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.
How to protect your family from carbon monoxide?
- No home should be without a reliable, tested CO2 detector. You can phone D.A. Bennett Service Experts to purchase one today.
- Batteries should be checked on a consistent basis for existing CO2 detectors. It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
- If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms mentioned above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.
- Schedule routine gas furnace maintenance annually to ascertain no carbon monoxide leaks are present at the onset of heating season.
- If your furnace is approaching the end of its working life, think about a proactive home furnace replacement service and upgrade to a new high efficiency system.
*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.