Spring is enjoyable for more than a few reasons: flowers start to bloom, you can crack windows for outdoor air and your utility bill is commonly at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not turning on your heater or cooling.
But as temps begin to climb, so do your energy charges. Here are a few ideas for saving energy in Albany and keeping costs lower.
1. Book Annual AC Maintenance
Giving your air conditioning system a yearly maintenance visit can help it work more efficiently and trim costs. Switching out your air filter will help keep power expenses less expensive.
If your HVAC equipment has experienced better days, spring is a smart time to replace it. The energy-saving options in updated cooling systems is a huge advantage for keeping your utility expenses down.
2. Start with Your Thermostat
There’s a straightforward way you can save up to 10% on home comfort bills. Just turn your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours each day.
Learning how to expertly use your thermostat is the best way to cut down on energy costs in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re in the house. Think about it this way, the smaller the difference between outdoor temperatures and interior temperatures, the less expensive your home comfort cost will be.
- When you’re out and about, set the thermostat to a much higher temperature or turn it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty home.
3. Experiment with Other Methods to Cool Your House
You can take advantage of several other approaches to help keep your house cool:
- Use a ceiling fan—By using a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no decrease in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise in the summer, which drives cool air upward. This distributes cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds shut—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it moves through windows. Keep your home more comfortable by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not using sunny rooms.
4. Think About Buying a Smart Thermostat
You’re out and about and immediately realize you neglected to turn up the thermostat. Then you fret about it the full day!
Smart thermostats learn your habits and change the temp when you’re out and about to help you save on your bills. You can also change the temp from anywhere with your phone.
These pro ideas will all help keep summer energy charges low. If you conclude it’s time to upgrade your thermostat or need AC installation, call us at 518-205-3324 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the correct product for your space. And as usual, all our services are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.